Friday 7 September 2007

Sketch In Progress


This is another recording of how I sketch it is a bit shakey but i was holding the camera as well!
As I seem to be on a sketchbook theme at the moment i thought i had better do a bit of research to tie up the loose ends.
Artist seem to fall into two camps when it comes to sketchbooks. they either produce great pictures that everyone can admire and see what it is the sketch or they are just note and meanlingless scribles to the onlooker but meaning something to the artist.
Constable seems to have been in the picture way of things, then you have Turner
who just does a quick outline and some notes. perhaps this is a indication of different methodes or thinking.....
Two more examples and here I must thank Katherine of Making a Mark
for pointing me in the direction of Monet
who seems to be in the scribbler catorgory of sketchbook keepers. Arriving at the present day David Hockney is perhaps of the picture type and very good they are too, I remember seeing some of his original sketchbooks on display at The National Portrait Gallery last year, they were books in themselves and indeed some have been published as such.

1 comment:

Gesa said...

Yeapp... I do recognise that... But often I also sketch first and then use the brush... or brush and then apply some of the crayons... I like to try out how different support changes this process too.

www.artythings.blogspot.commapstats Button Guide